July 18, 2012
Obama’s Education Policy
President Obama has called for sweeping changes in the American education system. He is trying to make good on his promise to link teacher pay to performance. He also has a soft spot for charter schools, which he calls “laboratories of innovation”, and intends to double financing for those.
Obama calls for education changes
“For decades, Washington has been trapped in the same stale debates that have paralyzed progress and perpetuated our educational decline,” President Obama said, in a speech here to the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce. “Too many supporters of my party have resisted the idea of rewarding excellence in teaching with extra pay, even though we know it can make a difference in the classroom. Too many in the Republican Party have opposed new investments in early childhood education, despite compelling evidence of its importance.”
Below are just a few of the promises and plans Obama has made to revamp the educational system in the US:
- Zero to Five Plan: This plan will provide critical support to young children their parents and women during pregnancy. Unlike other early childhood plans, this plan puts an emphasis on early care in order to provide children with a large platform for kindergarten.
- Expand Head Start Programs: Obama will quadruple Early Head Start funding and increase Head Start funding.
- Provide accessible child care: Obama will increase access to affordable and high-quality child care to working families.
- Reform to No Child Left Behind Act: Obama will begin by increasing funding. Teachers will not have to teach children how to fill in bubbles on standardized tests. In an individualized manner, children’s progress will be assessed on math, reading, and science in order to prepare for college. Improvement will be made in NCLB’s accountability system so that we are supporting failing schools, not punishing them.
- Charter Schools: Obama will double funding for charter schools. This will provide funding only to states that improve accountability for charter schools, allow for interventions in charter schools, and have a clear process for closing down failing charter schools.
- Math and Science: Obama will recruit math and science degree graduates to the teaching profession.
- Address Drop-out Rates: Obama will provide funding for intervention strategies in middle schools. Implementing programs such as; personal academic plans, teaching terms, parent involvement, mentoring, intensive reading and math instructions, and extended learning time.
- Expand After School Programs: Obama will double funding for after school programs; reaching 1 million more families.
- Support College Outreach Programs: Obama supports outreach programs that encourage and support children from low income families to prepare for college.
- Support College Credit Incentives: Obama plans to create a national “Make College A Reality” incentive that has a goal of to increase students taking AP or college-level classes nationwide 50% by 2016
Reposted with permission from What Is Obama Doing?
September 1, 2014
So, Kate Upton's phone was hacked. Probably. I haven't gone looking for a story about it, frankly. The end result, however, I know: This evening there are photos of the pair posing in front of a mirror in all their glory making their
Baseball player Justin Verlander, 31, and model Kate Upton, 22, are one of Hollywood's cutest couples, but the two have found themselves in the midst of a major phone hack that posted alleged nude photos of countless celebs online. Kate's lawyer has
Aww! Kate Upton's hunky MLB boyfriend Justin Verlander tossed Kate a souvenir during a baseball game on Aug. 4. Fans captured the flirty moment between the cute couple!
Perhaps Kate Upton was in on the Justin Verlander butt jokes long before Justin's bare rear end was launched across the Internet. Getty Images. By now, there's a chance you've seen those nude photos allegedly showing Justin Verlander's butt and full
Justin Verlander has his eyes set on Saturday. That's the day Verlander said he hopes he can rejoin the starting rotation after being sidelined for nearly two weeks with inflammation in his right shoulder. Verlander took the first step Tuesday towards
September 1, 2014
Michael Sam's journey to the NFL has hit another snag, but he is free to keep trying to make it with the first team that gave him a chance. The St. Louis Rams made Sam one of their final cuts, which subjected the seventh-round pick to the league's
Michael Sam, the first openly gay athlete drafted into the NFL, was cut by the St. Louis Rams as the team trimmed its roster ahead of the start of the 2014 season, according to multiple reports. The news emerged on Saturday shortly before the NFL's 4 p
Michael Sam, the first openly-gay football player drafted by the National Football League, was cut from the St. Louis Rams on Saturday afternoon. The news comes as a major disappointment to Sam's many fans (according to
LOUIS (AP) — St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher says he was in Michael Sam's corner from the start and that having the first openly gay player drafted by an NFL team was no distraction at all in training camp. Fisher says that
Michael Sam (@MichaelSamNFL) August 30, 2014. Another option is for Sam to take his time and possibly sign with another team, although the fact no team took a flyer when he was available on waivers doesn't bode well for that route. He could also wait
September 1, 2014
(CNN) — A publicist for Jennifer Lawrence slammed the appearance of nude photographs of the Oscar-winning actress online Sunday as a "flagrant violation of privacy." "The authorities have been contacted and will prosecute anyone who posts the stolen
Photos purporting to show a nude Jennifer Lawrence are making their way around on the Internet as part of what appears to be a massive celebrity hacking campaign. The photos claiming to be of Lawrence were taken in various locations — some of them
(CNN) — A publicist for Jennifer Lawrence slammed the appearance of nude photographs of the Oscar-winning actress online Sunday as a “flagrant violation of privacy.” “The authorities have been contacted and will
Jennifer Lawrence, Ariana Grande, Victoria Justice, More Celebs Have Alleged Nude Photos Leak In Massive Hack. The leak appears to have originated on 4chan's /b/ board. This post is SFW. Update: Lawrence's publicist has confirmed the pictures'
Photos purporting to show a nude Jennifer Lawrence are making their way around on the Internet as part of what appears to be a massive celebrity hacking…
September 1, 2014
Mary Beth Jackson, 16, of Pinehurst, N.C., with her father, Wade Jackson, after securing tickets Sunday to attend the Roger Federer match, which he won. Credit Barton Silverman/The New York Times. “I think many people would rather watch him practice
The remaining eight third-round singles matches in the bottom half of the draw on Sunday's order of play feature four Top 10 seeds – No. 2 Roger Federer, No. 4 David Ferrer, No. 6 Tomas Berdych and No. 7 Grigor Dimitrov.
Roger Federer is at such a pitch of elegant perfection this year and at this US Open that the groundswell of support for him in New York is growing by the backhand. The second seed could hardly have ordered up a more ideal
Roger Federer is at such a pitch of elegant perfection this year and at this US Open that the groundswell of support for him in New York is growing by the backhand. The second seed could hardly have ordered up a more ideal list of victims in the first
Roger Federer eased into the third round of the US Open on Friday evening, charging past Sam Groth 6-4, 6-4, 6-4 in one hour and 48 minutes. He fired nine aces, won 84 per cent of first serve points and broke serve in five of
September 1, 2014
Hello, college football fan! We've started tracking every FBS final score from opening Saturday, which is happening right now. It's the biggest and finest day of college football in an opening week
Yep, Sunday is college football day. Well, it kind of always is, since people such as you and I would rather yell about rankings than watch the Dallas Cowboys play the New York Giants again, but
An instantaneous survey of five teams in the best position for the College Football Playoff's four spots at this very moment, plus the biggest threats looming for each. Be advised: these have nothing to do with the preseason Top 25 polls. If you get
Some notable performances and accomplishments from the first weekend of college football, by the numbers: 1: Coach at UAB who has won in his debut game. Bill Clark opened his Blazers tenure Saturday with a 48-10 win at home against Troy. It was the
The first college football Saturday of 2014 featured an abundance of highlight plays. Here is a roundup of some of the best: Jameis Winston made some amazing plays en route to winning the Heisman Trophy last season, but I don't think we've ever seen